Monday 16 April 2012

Reading Response #6 16/04/2012

Neverwhere
Neil Gaiman
Pages 212-242 read

"He's a fraud and a cheat and possibly even something of a monster. If you're ever in trouble, go to him. He will protect you, girl. He has to." As to why Door's dad would trust her to a dangerous person beats me. However in the London Below, I guess everyone is found to be dangerous. No one is able to trust anyone else, otherwise they end up dead. Door's dad might have made a deal with the Marquis de Carabas, or have known each other for quite some time, or something of the sort in which he could trust him, but from what I've read of the Marquis de Carabas and how he treats other people would not make me want to trust someone like him. Her dad must have known what he was talking about, and since he is dead, Door has no other advice to follow except for that. Anyways, continuing on, I was surprised to find a Macbeth reference in this book. Richard says "Well, lead on, Macduff," referring to when Macduff leads the troops to bring the fall of Macbeth. Perhaps Richard didn't believe he would make it out of the ordeal alive, just like there was no chance of Macbeth making out of his castle alive, which is why he would say that, or maybe some other reason that I'm not sure of.
A few pages later, a phone call between the angel Islington and Mr Croup take place, and the reader finds out that they are working together. I could not believe this when I read it, because my mind wouldn't let me understand how someone who's supposed to be holy can be working with people so evil who are trying to kill Door. I still have to read on about what will happen with that, but for now Gaiman has really surprised me with adding that twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment