Tuesday 21 February 2012

Reading Response 22/02/2012

For the past two weeks, I have been reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. One interesting, simile, if you can call it that, was "Then he pondered Mr. Croup's last statement with the intensity of an anatomist dissecting his one true love." I found this quote very chilling and original, and it really made me feel the way the character should be feeling. I love this quote and it very well might be my favorite quote in the book. Another one I found was "A huge stone bridge spanning out over a vast black chasm, into the night. But there was no sky above it, no water below. It rose into darkness." The bridge in the book is supposed to be terrifying, and this quote helps get emotions rolling so you can understand how creepy this bridge really is, like the darkness is infinity and you cant see past it, like the darkness is so thick you can breathe it in, which brings me to the final quote for this response: "...and Richard began to understand darkness: darkness as something solid and real, so much more than a simple absence of light. He felt it touch his skin, questing, moving, exploring: gliding through his mind." This description freaks me out in a way, and makes me desperately want to know what's going to happen on this bridge of darkness. These type of quotes render the book so much more suspenseful and a lot more interesting to read, and is a really good book so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment